Friday, April 21, 2017

Easter Sunday

Today is Easter! I love this holiday. But who am I kidding, I love most holidays. 

Easter means a lot to our family as Christians. It also is usually in the heart of birthday season in our household, so it adds to the excitement of spring for us. 

Today was a little unorthodox, due to some semi-unforeseen circumstances. 

Last Monday, I go to work and check my schedule for the following week. I totally expected to see that the store was closed on Easter, since it's on a military base, on a "Red Letter Holiday" (meaning non-essential military personnel have the day off). But guess what? The store was open. Full hours. And guess who was scheduled to work Easter morning?

To the next person that says, "welcome to retail", allow me to throat punch you. Target is closed on Easter. Come on. 

So, we had to make some adjustments. We set our alarms and all got up super early at 630 (Who am I kidding - the kids were already awake) and let the kids open their Easter baskets from us. This year featured Lego Nexo Knights, Star Wars "guys" and micromachines (hidden in the eggs), story books and a small amount of candy.



Then, we scrambled (literally...see what I did there) to make a quick but nice Easter breakfast - eggs, bacon, and hash browns. I shoved it down as fast as I could and then ran outside to hide Easter eggs on the front lawn before I had to start my shift 30 minutes later. 









The boys ran out and gleefully searched for eggs. Most were haphazardly tossed out on the lawn, but some were cleverly hidden - up in the tree, on the fenceline, on the basketball hoop. It took about 20 minutes and they found them all, and I ran to work. 




We interrupt this Easter for a 6 hour work shift. Boo. Hiss. 

Brad and the kids came and visited me in the middle of my shift after they went to church. We ate Lunchables together in the back room and wandered around the store for a bit. Again, not really something you'd expect to do on Easter. But, we made the most of it. 

After I got off work, we came home and smashed confetti eggs on our heads because that is somehow an Easter tradition. But it's extremely meaningful to the kids because 1. confetti 2. they're for once allowed to smash eggs and 3. they're allowed to smash eggs on their sibling's heads. 






After the confetti fest, we ate Ribs and macaroni and cheese for dinner, played with Star Wars toys and watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (original, 1970-whatever version) while eating popcorn with jelly beans in it. 

An unorthodox way to celebrate Easter, but we did it, and made the most of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment