Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day In The Raw

It's the Day of Mothers, or the Mother of Days, or something. Either way, we are celebrating me so of course it's important. 

Blah blah blah I'm not that vain blah blah blah everyone is important and special and everything blah blah blah.

I had a very classic Mother's Day. Not like, flowers and brunch (seriously, who's idea was it to invent brunch?! I'm hungry and I'm NOT waiting until 11am) and all that mushy nonsense. Like, I was mothering to the limit type of Mother's Day. Because the kids aren't suddenly going to say "Hey it's Mother's Day let's sleep in until 9:30 and be perfect well-behaved angels during every waking hour today." No, they were kids, so they needed to be mothered. 


I like the term "mothered" as a verb. It's kind of like "smothered", except without the "s", and not as violent, because there's no pillow. Maybe like a warning shot. It's like, "If you kids don't knock it off I'm going to MOTHER you, and if you keep on keeping, THEN I'm going to SMOTHER YOU."

Blah blah blah don't smother your kids blah blah blah but you definitely can mother them blah blah blah legal logistics crap. 

So this morning we got up and dressed and went to breakfast on base. The kids were on their best behavior by jumping up and down with their breakfast trays in line and arguing over who got a half ounce more of orange juice in their glass than the other. Then Calen announced that he didn't want to eat his eggs because they were cold, and Camden glanced over, then suddenly slapped his entire hand on top of Calen's eggs to see if they were cold. And when Camden announced "your eggs aren't that cold", Calen then goes "You just slapped my eggs!! Oh yeah?!" and then slapped his hand onto Camden's eggs. 

Perfect, well behaved children on Mother's Day. 

We left breakfast (without eating the eggs) and went over to Sebastapol to the farmers market. Which was very, uh, hippy. Like more hippy than usual for northern California. But, we walked around and gawked at tomato plants and bought a bag of cherries to support the cause (whatever the cause is). Also cherries are delicious. 


Mural in Sebastapol. Camden: "I'm going to TOUCH HIS FLUFFY BUTT."
Since we finished the market a lot sooner than we thought, we drove over to Bodega Bay, and during the said drive, the boys were perfect angels in the back seat, fighting over a pirate telescope and a single matchbox car, both of which I snatched from their hands and launched past them into the trunk of the car. Then I caught Calen wipe his boogers on the door of the car and listened to them shoot zombies with invisible guns the whole rest of the drive. 


The epitome of "boy": barefoot, jeans rolled up, reading a book about a kid shooting Nazis (truth. It's one of those "I Survived" books). 
At the bay, we walked out on this massive dock path thing that went past the boatyard and stopped basically in the middle of the bay. We tried to take a nice picture for Mother's Day, which turned out perfect and completely frameable (see below). While we were out there we were visited by a couple of sea lions, including this humongous mutant sea lion that just hung out right below us observing us. Way cool. Then we went out onto the beach during low tide, running around and turning over rocks to find baby crabs. 










Unfortunately I had to work this afternoon (booo...hisss), so we cut it short and headed home. The boys and Daddy brought me sushi for dinner while I was at work this evening, and then when I got back home all 4 of us had a Star Wars Battlefront tournament on the Playstation. 

Sarcasm aside, this really was a fun Mother's Day, and we made it the best we could considering it was a work day for me. All I really wanted was to be able to spend some time with my three favorite people, and I got to do just that. I'm so thankful for my family and all the craziness that goes along with it. Normal is just a setting on the dryer, anyways. 


Why I celebrate today!



No comments:

Post a Comment