Thursday, July 20, 2017

Shark Week, Day 3

I woke up today, and I really barely had the mental energy to acknowledge Shark Week. For whatever reason I just wasn't into it. But, the show must go on! Or so they say. And the kids have been so excited over it, how could I say no?

We didn't have a science experiment today, but we did do a lengthly craft. I stripped the boys down to old basketball shorts (because, paint) and took them outside to paint a paper plate blue. While it dried, they took a second (white) paper plate and cut the middle out to make it look like shark teeth. Once the paint on the blue plate was dry, the boys drew and cut out sea creatures, talking about what sharks would manage to eat (whether on purpose or not) on a day to day basis. They glued the creatures to the blue plate, and then I stapled the white teeth on top. 

Viola! 3D shark mouth! This project was a long process, but I would consider it a grand success. 

Calen's shark had seals, eels, fish and seaweed
Cam's shark had a seal, an eeel, a worm, a tiny fish and seaweed
Luckily, I did a little prep work yesterday for their special snack. I happened upon a box of blue Jello in the pantry, so I quickly made it and cooled it overnight. Then this morning, I filled the bottom of two small Mason jars with mini sweet tart bites (because Nerds weren't available where I looked...dumb) to make it look like aquarium rocks. Then, I dumped one jar of cooled jello into the mason jar on top of the candy and let it settle, and finally took a knife to cut a few slits in the jello and stuck Swedish fish inside, and shark fruit snacks on top to make it look like an aquarium. 



Obviously, major sugar overload and not something I'd let them eat on a daily basis, and they only had maybe 3 bites of jello each (after digging out all the candy....turds). But it was fun for a rare occasion. 

And that was it really. They watched an hour or so of Shark Week on TV and we called it a day. 

Tomorrow is the last day of the Hansen's Shark Week, because I'm running out of supplies and Pinterest ideas, but it has definitely been well worth sorting it all together for a week of crafty overload. 

No comments:

Post a Comment