Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Inventing Homeschool

 

Since I've been really, and I mean really, bad at keeping up with this blog, I'll bring you up to speed. 

I've been homeschooling the boys for almost two full school years now. It was always on my radar, but I never pulled the trigger until the Rona basically sabotaged the '19-20 school year and it resulting in a total loss. Then after a trial school year at home, it was such a runaway success we decided to toss public school in the rearview mirror and never look back, baby. 

I mean it when I say I. Love. Homeschooling. Some teaching, picking what they read and learn, Pinterest projects? I was made for this. 

Anyways, here we are in the last leg of our second homeschool year (7th grade for Calen, 5th grade for Camden). We have been doing focused unit studies for the last half of the school year, and currently we are doing Inventions and Transportation (or the invention of, as it were). We have also been throwing in introductions to Electricity, for obvious reasons. 

Fun fact: Boy Scout Merit Badge work packets are spectacular for homeschool. Learning about Inventions and Electricity and getting a merit badge for it? I'm a fan. 

This week we learned about the invention of long-distance communications, the telephone, and the first cell phones. This of course requires some fun activities, such as:


Tin can phone experiments. 





An entire afternoon of playing with Snap Circuits






Watching Big Hero 6 for fun (in theory Baymax is an invention, right?)




And creating a model of their own inventions, which they will actually build a prototype of later. Calen is developing a pre-measured automatic dog feeder, Camden is inventing a trash wagon droid. 

Calen's dog feeder model

Camden's trash droid model 


Did I mention I love homeschooling??

No comments:

Post a Comment