Friday, June 17, 2022

The Things You Say (teenager edition)

 It's really weird having someone in your house old enough to fringe on your generation's pop culture. 

It's probably even weirder when I fringe on his pop culture, but luckily that's not really in existence yet, other than the phrases "Bruh", "Sus", and "that's cringe", but those are ridiculous stupid phrases and I'm not interested in being that cool, thanks. 

My kids have an Amazon Echo Dot (also known as "Alexa") in their playroom. I'm explaining this more than necessary because everyone on the entire planet has an Alexa, but thirty years from now when I dig this out of some time capsule and will laugh and laugh at the archaic devices that adorned our houses. You know as some droid named Betty preps dinner and sweeps the floor, "Jetsons" style. 

Anyways, I came upstairs today and I hear the Backstreet Boys "I want it that way" playing on their Alexa. 

The Backstreet Boys. 

So like any self-respecting child of the 90s, I start singing along at the top of my lungs. The boys stare at me with confused and slightly embarrassed wonder. 

Calen goes: "You know this song?"

And I said "Uhhh, obviously."

Calen: "They're called the Backstreet Boys. They make pretty good music!"

I start to chuckle and I go "Calen, I know all about the Backstreet Boys. I guarantee you I know more about them than you ever will."

Calen: "Oh....are they really old or something?"

Me: "I mean, twenty years ago old. Sure."

Twenty YEARS. Gosh. 

I figured this would horrify the boys and they would turn it off or something, because what cool kid in the world has the audacity to listen to their Mom's popular music. But it didn't deterr them, they continued to sing along, and then the next song was Maroon 5 (their first album) and I suddenly realized that I am completely succeeding in raising perfect children. 

Even if they think Backstreet Boys is REALLY OLD. 

Photo of Camden jumping the skate park, for fun. 



No comments:

Post a Comment