Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Red Letter Day

So I decided that since I can't seem to get ahold of anyone regarding speech therapy approved preschool for Cam in this city (seriously people? I'm leaving my phone number. Call me back) and private preschool around here is a million trillion dollars (a month), I decided I was going to take matters into my own hands and do a little at home school time with him while Calen is at school. Not a ton, maybe an hour out of a day. Since the kid is SO unwilling to learn (he doesn't have time for crap like the alphabet or colors!) I have to start with the serious basics. 

Since he's still pretty iffy with his colors, I decided to start with the color red for this week. I'm not a very motivated teacher anyways so colors are easy for both of us. This morning we started with the colored Cheerios (sold at the NEX for a buck a box!) sorting game. He sorts them just fine so my questions of whether or not he's color blind has been answered...he's not. 


After that I took some rice that I had colored red last night (2 cups rice + 2 tbs vinegar + food coloring + shake shake shake in a ziplock bag + lay out on wax paper to dry = colored rice) and poured it in a baking dish and let Camden play "construction site" with it. Good ol' fashioned sensory play. I'm turning into some sort of hippie recycling homeschooling mom or something.

Note: I have NO INTENTION of homeschooling either child EVER. Sweet for the people that have the patience and energy and compassion for it but it's not my thing. Why won't they call me back?! Also I do happen to recycle.



We then had lunch on the patio featuring red raspberries and strawberries, and Cam ate while I read him "The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear." It's a favorite in our house and it was appropriate for the day. 


We finished our little red splurge with painting with red paint, including making handprints. Later when we start doing alphabet stuff I'll have him decorate it with alien stickers. After all, "A is for Apple" is SO last generation. A is for Alien people!

His little chubby MAN HANDS
And that was it for the day. Cam liked the special one on one attention too, and listened pretty well. I have a few more "red" projects for tomorrow and then we'll try to confuse him by adding a color to the mix. 



No comments:

Post a Comment