Sunday, March 19, 2023

Day 72: If I Was From The 1900s

 Leading up to our Hawaiian vacation, we've been watching every movie that even slightly resembles the tropical islands. Lilo and Stich, Moana, and then Camden begged to watch Jurassic Park. 

I mean, it's tropical, and they filmed part of the movie in Kauai, the actual island that we are traveling to. So, fair play. 

So we are sitting and watching the movie and eating popcorn happily, and the scene where the self-powered Jurassic Park Ford Explorers (not the classic Jeeps in the beginning of the movie) pull up in front of the guest center. Calen, my car obsessed teenager, goes "ooooooh!" at the cars. He swallowed his mouthful of popcorn and proclaimed. 

"You know, if I was from the 1900s, I would probably pick an SUV like that."

There was no snark, no side eye, no snide humor involved. It was a general statement. I shot him a LOOK. 

"What do you mean "from the 1900s?!" I demanded. 

"Why are you so offended?" He asked. It was an honest question. (And for the record, I wasn't actually offended)

"Calen, I'm from the 1900s."

"I said the late 1900s." he retorted. 

"It doesn't make a difference!" 

And then it dawned on me, this how kids these days actually think in honesty. The generation gap has officially split between the ones "From The 1900s" and then the younger "normal kids".

You know like, when I used to think about people born in the 1890s, like you'd have to time travel to get all the way back to the 1900s. 

Gosh. I feel old. 




No comments:

Post a Comment