Monday, March 20, 2023

Day 74: Cake Day

 There have been a LOT of Cake Days over the years. 

It might as well be a national holiday. At least in my house. 

If you don't know what Cake Day is, it is the celebrated day before one of the kid's birthdays, or birthday parties, where I dedicate some or part or all of the day making the most epic birthday cake I can possibly think of. 

The kids ask me to make a cake every year, even though cake isn't necessarily their favorite. But the themes are their favorite, and each year they either give requests and theme ideas, or ask for a surprise theme. I've asked many, many times if they wanted cookies or brownies instead, but they love the idea of a cake so much that they ask for every year. Calen said last year "It's so special because you make it so special for us every year and it's tradition."

Well who am I to argue with tradition?

Calen's birthday isn't for another week but since we will be out of town for his birthday, we planned his party for this weekend. His one request was to have a car themed cake. 

Done, done and done. 

Luckily for him, I had already done some research on car cakes prior, since he is so obsessed with cars. His favorite cars are sporty/muscle cars, specifically Corvettes and Camaros. 

I made a simple chocolate fudge round cake covered in red fondant. Fondant has been my medium of choice over the years, even though no one likes to eat it (but it's easy to peel off). I split the cake in half and laid an upside down paper plate (painted black and glued yellow road strips on it) in between. The lip of the plate was perfect to hold up a brand new camaro matchbox car. Then some easy black frosting tire treads on the sides, all sitting on top of a cake pan that I wrapped in black paper and a handmade "Corvette Logo" with Calen's name in the middle. 

All art comes with mishaps. Whoops. 



The best part of the cake (in my opinion) was the wheels, or the aquiration of the wheels. I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest toy dirt bike (with the biggest wheels) I could find, and then ceremoniously dismantled it. Then I stuck toothpicks through the spokes and stuffed them into the cake. Then a brand new Camaro on the top (Fast and the Furious style), and two new Hot Wheels Corvette's (old and new style) on the sides. 





It was very simple, but it was elegant, sleek, and just as classy as the cars he loves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment