Sunday, January 15, 2017

Day 325: I'll Never Let My Child Do That, And Other Lies We Tell Ourselves

Back when I was a perfect parent (which means, "before I had kids"), I silently (or not) judged parents on a lot of things. One thing I would judge is kids at a restaurant with their family, on their tablets/phones/handheld game systems/etc. Why are you allowing your kid to do this? What's wrong with you? Tear that shit out of their hands and make them spend some quality family time!

Mostly, I still silently judge others stick to this as a family rule. If we are at the table together, home or restaurant, devices are not with us. Especially at a restaurant. I especially judged a family at a Character Meal at Disney World for letting their kids play their Nintendo 3Ds' at the table while Goofy and Mickey were walking around and thus being ignored by said distracted kids. 

Okay, that one was totally justified to be judged for. 

As I've gotten more experienced though, I understand people have their reasons. TODDLERS, for instance. Also, kids that are overwhelmed with loud and busy surroundings, or other challenges. But for the average family with average kids like us, this is a no brainer. Put it away. 

Unless, of course, you decide to cancel DirecTV during Seahawks playoff season, like the idiots we are. And then need to trek into Buffalo Wild Wings to watch said playoff game. 

And since we grownups are watching TV, why shouldn't there be devices allowed at the table??

Rules are meant for breaking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment