Friday, February 26, 2016

Day 3: Reading Material

You know, most six year olds like stories with knights and dragons or astronauts or something. Calen doesn't like fiction. I mean he does, but only during storytime before bed. If my little bookworm is going to lock himself in our "library" (upstairs walk in storage closet), which he does daily, it's going to be strictly non-fiction. He'll pour over charts about sharks. Or Lego Star Wars minifigs. Or National Geographic for kids. Or his personal favorite, natural disasters. 

Here's Calen's reading material for the day:

Completely, and totally, obsessed. 


I don't know if I should be pleased that he prefers non-fiction over stories, but after 3 solid years his obsession with natural disasters hasn't ceased to exist, and I'm starting to get shifty-eyed over whether he's going to become the next Doomsday Prepper 15 years from now when he's moved out. 

I mean, great if he does. Then if the next big earthquake/hurricane/zombie apocalypse/sharknado happens, I can just hang out in his basement and eat MRE's and clean his semi-automatic shotgun. As he tells me, the next time there's lightning in the sky, he's just going to shoot it to protect us. With his Zombie-Strike Nerf Gun.  

Seems legit. 

He also brought home this gem from the school library. Some author somewhere knew exactly how to get to a 1st grade boy's heart:

The sub-title. I can't even. 

AND, there's even glorious color photographs of sea predators battling other sea predators. Ever seen a narwhal impale a man-o-war jellyfish? Me either. But here it is in full page glory.

Come on, you can't resist seeing whether a crocodile could take down a giant squid or not.

Okay, I'll admit it. I was more than a little amused by the photoshopped violent illustrations. And totally allowed Calen to gleefully show me each "battle" on every page and let him read me all the little fact bubbles and discuss it with me in detail this morning. 

Apparently this is one title in a whole series. I can't wait to see what he brings home next week.

I mean, at least he likes to read, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment