Monday, February 29, 2016

Day 6: Leap Year-Day-Whatever

This is the second time since I've done this blog that I'm posting on leap year (leap year? Leap day. Which is it when speaking about the specific day?) which is kind of fun. Except last time the kids were a LOT smaller. This also means that kid I've known since elementary school turned like eight today (what a drag that crap is). 

Calen has been on this cooking thing lately. In true Calen fashion, he's been asking me the "how does everything work" questions and really wants to know HOW food ingredients are made ("Mom, how do you make pepperoni?" -- buying it at the store is not an acceptable answer for him. So on a whim he asked me yesterday if we could make fruit salad (of all things) with dinner tonight. And I said sure, because that's an easy one that I don't have to commit a lot of thought/energy/sanity/cleanup to.

I decided that since he's almost seven, he's old enough now to learn how to use a knife (*gasp!* *shock!* *horror!*) to slice fruit. So after very specific safety instructions, I allowed him to slice an orange, all while hovering over him like a very nervous sentinel. 

And he did great! As in, he successfully sliced fruit and didn't lose any fingers in the process! 

But because he's a six year old boy, things escalated quickly as he explained to me that it's lucky that the orange isn't a zombie orange because if it was he'd NINJA CHOP IT (and gave me a very alarming visual aid by slamming the knife down onto the cutting board) and suddenly I was very realistically telling my kid to "please don't use real knives as zombie weapons in this house" and to only "very very carefully slice the rest of the fruit and no more ninja chopping". 

We don't have a normal day in this house. 

Note the intensity on his face. This is serious business

No comments:

Post a Comment