Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Jumping on Leap Day. Year. Whatever.

Does anyone actually KNOW what Leap Year even is? Other than an extra day in February and that some unlucky bastards only get to celebrate their birthdays every four years. I actually remembered to Google it this time around, and THIS is the official reasoning behind Leap Year:

"February 29, known as a leap day in the Gregorian calendar, is a date that occurs in most years that are evenly divisible by 4, such as 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016. Years that are evenly divisible by 100 do not contain a leap day, with the exception of years that are evenly divisible by 400, which do contain a leap day; thus 1900 did not contain a leap day while 2000 did. Years containing a leap day are called leap years. February 29 is the 60th day of the Gregorian calendar in such a year, with 306 days remaining until the end of that year."

Yeah, I don't feel any more educated about Leap Year than before I read that paragraph of numerical garbage. 

So because I have much better ideas than the ancient knowledge brains of the world (is that even proper English?), I have decided that Leap Year is just an event that happens every four years to screw with your mind and your calendar. 

You're welcome.

To celebrate Leap Year (not really, it was to celebrate a rainy Wednesday and six stir-crazy toddlers/babies), we took the boys with their best friends Mason, Saoirse, Everett and Weston on a drive up to Egg Harbor (just as goofy a place as the name) for an afternoon of indoor force-fed exhaustion. Which the kids called "fun". 

We had lunch at Chick Fil A, an "upscale" fast food restaurant that the Northwest hasn't ever heard of. Too bad too, because it's pretty super awesome. And it's kind of like the Twilight Zone, because I walked up to the counter and gave my order, and when I got back to our table, my lunch that I had JUST ordered was sitting there waiting for me. Like the lady took my change pushed the register button and it zapped my chicken sandwich on my table. Sweet awesomeness! Calen wanted a "cheezebugar???" (he pronounces it like an LOLZ Cat would) but settled for nuggets and lemonade that made him pee 55 times before we left.

After lunch we went to "Jump", as the kids call it, which is actually a gymnastics center that has a toddler drop in stay and play program three days a week. Today we should have called it "Leap" because of Leap Year because we're so clever. The idea is every mother's dream: take their shoes off, throw open the doors, let them enter basically a huge padded warehouse with tumbling mats, balance beams, trampolines, foam pits etc. Then you say "have fun!" and they run, jump, bounce, run, jump, crawl, climb, RUN, JUMP laugh, (did I mention the RUN AND JUMP part??), for two hours until they literally collapse from exhaustion. It's the best place EVER.

Most of the time, their feet don't even touch the ground.

So after two hours and the circus monkeys have melted into puddles of mushes on the floor, it's time for the trek back home. They were SO tired from jumping. I mean leaping. Whatever. So we scrape our ooze puddles off the mats and put them in the car. Cam slept the whole way home. Calen fell asleep 6 minutes before we reached our house. Typical.

Our street turned into a wetlands area after today's rain, so I decided it was a good time to throw Calen into boots and a rain jacket and we went off to search for mud puddles. I don't think Calen thought I was serious, I was actually ALLOWING him to get his shoes/pants/everything wet and muddy. 

Jumping in mud puddles turned into jumping into the bay across the street. Which is even more fun because it involves sand. Sand is more dirty. Thus sand is more fun. It's 40 degrees, raining, windy and Calen fell in the bay so he was soaking wet. And he did NOT want to go home. After an hour, I even bribed him.

"Hey Calen, want to go home and get warm clothes and watch Yo Gabba Gabba?



"No. I play mud in the water."



Okay fine. Acquire hypothermia. I'll just keep taking pictures.


(I did finally convince him to come inside when I promised a snack. And his toy trains. And Yo Gabba Gabba.)


We found a BIG puddle to splash in. Called Cape May Bay.




 

2 comments:

  1. I love how you spent your freebie day. Mud for all! I thought for a while Chick Fil A was a legal term, but later found out my work was just doing a real estate deal! What the hell does the A stand for?! Is it fillet? I am not unknown, I am Angie K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty convinced that the "A" stands for Awesome!! But yeah, I think you are right and that it is fillet. For a while here I was trying to figure out WHO Angie K was until it dawned on me that you aren't Angie M anymore! LOL. Someday I'll get used to it!

    ReplyDelete