Friday, March 22, 2019

Day 39: Take Your Kid To Work Day

When I was a kid, I envisioned Take Your Kid To Work Day as this super amazing day where the kid actually gets to DO what their parent does for a living. Like say, if your Dad was a cop, you get to be a cop and arrest people. Or for example, my mom was a bus driver when I was young, so if I went to her work for the day I should be able to drive the school bus. 

See, if children actually operated Take Your Kid To Work Day, it would be a much better holiday than what it actually is. 

What Take Your Kid To Work Day actually is, according to boring 34 year old me, is being forced to drag your home-for-spring-break children to your place of employment because you have no where else to dump them off to, and pile snacks and iPads in front of their faces and tell them to "sit still and be quiet" while you finish your work as fast as you can. 

Today was Take Your Kid To Work Day. 

Luckily, I "only" clean houses for a living, so I hauled the boys to one of my weekly homes, plopped them at the kitchen table with snacks and iPads and basically cleaned around them for a few hours. I did bring art supplies, and Calen amused me with drawing a Mickey Mouse out of a Learn To Draw book, but mostly they just gleefully played their iPads without a peep of complaining. 

You know why? Because they're never allowed to play their iPads freely. They are always required to do chores (i.e. housework) in order to "earn" screen time. So me just saying "Whatever I don't care how long you play as long as you stay out of my face!" is basically the equivalent of opening a very full bank vault and saying "load up with as much moolah as you can carry". 

The currency for kids in 2019 is Screen Time Minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment