Friday, July 5, 2013

The 4th of July

The 4th is one of my favorite holidays. I love the fireworks, the red white and blue, the barbecue, who doesn't love it? We make a big thing out of the 4th of July and this year was no different. 

We started the day off with some typical pool time with the neighbor kids and finished it off with some homemade Rocket Pops (strawberry daquiri mix, pina colada mix, blue gatorade. NON-alcoholic, don't judge!). 


Then we dressed up and got ready for our big 4th of July picnic that we host every year. I picked out the boys shirts and shorts, but they picked out the accessories. Including Cam's boots. 

 The barbecue was a big hit. The kids ran wild with other kids, there was tons of delicious unhealthy awesomeness, good company and a cornhole competition. Of course it wouldn't be a party without my kids being the center of attention, including Camden eating dog treats (and getting pissed when I took it away) and Calen continually losing his pants. 

...party hardy. 


I made "Roman Candles". Since personal fireworks are illegal in NJ, I had to make my own

 After the barbecue wound down, we packed up the car and drove a whopping ten blocks to the city beach, and put blankets and chairs down on the sand and waited until it got dark for the firework show. 

Beautiful Cape May at sunset, from the beach
Friends
And then of course, the fireworks show, shot off from a barge in the Atlantic. The big kids kept clapping at their favorite fireworks, and Camden was saying "WOW!!!! BOOM!!! WHOAAA" the whole time. it was terribly cute.


 I think the day was a grand success.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment