Thursday, August 1, 2013

D&H Summer Games, Day 4 (Rain and Bird Delay)

The weather decided that it wouldn't be our friend today and let us play outside (unless we wanted to play out in THIS:

slightly alarming weather
So we decided to postpone our summer games until tomorrow. The Duran girls did come over and we did a quick paper plate and streamer craft to make jelly fish. 
Calen's jellyfish hanging out on our aquarium
But on to more important news, like I WAS FAMOUS TODAY. Or something equally outrageous. So as I stated on Monday, we found a great blue heron stuck in a tree via fishing wire on the other side of our fence. We called our local nature center and after a couple hours the fire department managed to get the bird down and they took it to a wildlife rehab place. Well we got the call this morning from our nature center that it was going to be released back in the wild at the bay by our house, so of course my neighbor Marina and I went to watch it happen. Along with like 50 other people, including two groups of kids from Nature Camp and all the people/firemen/random folks involved with Mondays rescue. It was cool to see him (her? or him. They didn't even know) be released, and even cooler that instead of flying away, he cut right through the huge crowd of people (scaring the POO out of my neighbor kids) and taking a stroll down to the water. 

What I didn't expect was to be interviewed by not only some newspaper reporter (CM County News or maybe Exit Zero Magazine, I have no clue) AND a local television news station. And I REALLY didn't expect my interview to actually make it on the 6 o'clock news. I guess if I'm going to be on the news, it might as well be for something good, and not like burning down a building or something.

Camera crews. Seriously.
Come out! He was unimpressed with leaving

Home sweet home
So I guess we're famous or something. I'll admit it was kind of neat to be a part of. But kind of corny that it made the news. THOUGH, I'm always refreshed when I see happy stories on the news and get a break from the violence/senselessness, so I guess it's not as corny as I think it is. 

Or maybe, it is.




No comments:

Post a Comment