Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Day 197: The Burrito Factory

I'm not a morning person. 

Actually, that's half true. Once I'm up (and awake - key factor) in the morning, I generally like it. I like how much shit I can get done in the early morning, and then have all day left. 

But I hate the waking up part. 

My kids are not like me. They love waking up in the morning. They love it so much they wake up at 6am sharp every morning, regardless of time zone, daylight savings, going to bed at midnight or mid-afternoon. Their internal clock hits 6:01 and they've slept in. 

Luckily now that they're a little older, they can manage themselves in the hour that they are awake before me. Calen pours cereal and Cam knows how to turn on the TV and punch numbers 2-8-9 on the remote to get to Disney Jr. And so they sit quietly and munch on dry cereal and watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates while I sleep. 

Once I'm up though, it's time to get ready for school, double time. Get dressed, brush teeth, all that nonsense. Usually by then they want second breakfast because they're half hobbits, and I want to get something substantial in them before they leave for school, because according to them one snack in between breakfast and lunch is causing them to waste away, and a bowl of Batman Chocolate Crunch isn't filling them up. 

But remember, I'm not a morning person. So I'm not about to get up even earlier to crack open some eggs and bacon and prepare a complete balanced breakfast before 7:30am. Haven't you seen Bad Moms yet? 

SO, in order to have my cake and eat it too, I started pre-making like a million homemade breakfast burritos once a week or so and freezing them. Here's my burrito factory life hack step by step. 

Step 1. Crack open like a thousand eggs. Scramble. 

This is your brain on drugs. 
2. Add cooked bacon, or cooked sausage (bonus points for pre-cooked sausage because it's easier!). And cheese. Lots of cheese. 


3. Place scoopfuls of yummy breakfastness into tortillas. 

Assembly line. 
4. Roll those bad boys up in foil. Freeze!

5. Each morning, take 1 (because my kids share one) out of the freezer, Nuke for 1 min on each side. Slice in half, serve. 


5.5. Yell at your kids for not eating fast enough. We are leaving in FIVE MINUTES!

6. Award yourself for being supermom when you're not even close to being one. Fake it til you make it, people!

This takes about 3 minutes in the morning, the kids love it and I haven't gotten any reports of them wasting away to nothing in between the first bell ringing and lunch. 

Burrito factory! This will last us well into next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment