Friday, August 31, 2018

Day 84: O'Dark Thirty

We started the day very early. By early I mean basically the middle of the night. 

A 3:45am wakeup, 4:15am out the door, 5:15 dressed and on the ice first practice for Camden's Mites Flyers hockey team. 

Five Fifteen A. M. 

I heard that youth hockey often has early morning practice. I was prepared for this. But Five fifteen ice time you guys. Getting up at 3:45am and having to function as a human being? Should I just insert an IV of caffeine directly to my veins? Should I just stay up the entire night prior and not go to bed until after practice is over? How to people handle this?

To be honest, I thought waking Camden up at O'Dark Thirty was going to be a nightmare. I flipped the light on, whispered a quiet "Cam, wake up!" and after not receiving any sort of response, I said a tad louder "Cam, Flyers practice" and suddenly he shot out of bed, saying "OH MY GOSH, my first hockey practice!!!!" And he was dressed and downstairs in 3.56 seconds. 

This kid loves hockey more than any kid loves anything. 

Cam in the white jersey during pre practice warmups
After practice was over and we had inhaled our first cup of coffee, we had a solid hour and a half before Intro (the weekly hockey camp he's been in for 8 months now) was going to start. 

It was only 6:30am. 

So we headed to the nearest Starbucks that was open and used some giftcards to get breakfast and a second round of caffeine. 

Maybe hockey players invented coffee. 

Correction: maybe hockey parents invented coffee. 



The great thing, in theory, is that we were done with sports by 9am. The bad thing is we were basically in a hungover state for the rest of the day, and ready for bed by 4pm. 

I hope we get used to this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment