Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Day 52: Improvising

It rained again today. 

I better get used to this, since it rains basically 490 out of 365 days of the year in Alaska. 

I wanted to do a craft or something with the kids, but I couldn't really get my act together to figure out a craft/find supplies/doing anything with effort. So, we improvised. 

First of all, we had a leftover Chick Fil A craft toy thing from a kids' meal floating around the dining room for the last forever. It happened to be four little cardboard woodland animals that you put together. Calen asked if they could do it today, and I said absolutely! So they split it in half and each built two little animals. They're actually really cute, so I put them "on display" in the entertainment center. 



McDonald's needs to take a hint from Chick Fil A. No parent on planet Earth wants another stupid plastic shitty toy. But crafts?! We always want crafts. Especially cute crafts.

For dinner tonight, I was trying to use up random ingredients in the freezer (i.e, pie crusts and frozen mixed vegetables) so I experimented with a chicken pot pie. Let me I'm really impressed I actually made a chicken pot pie that was not only tasty but didn't end up looking like a 4th grader's slime experiment. 


Look! A pie!
The frozen pie crusts came in those foil pie plate things, and I thought "hmmm, we could do something with this." So I wiped them out and tossed them on the table with some Sharpies and said "have fun" to the boys. I suggested they make boats or submarines, and they could take them into the bath later. They loved that idea. 



Calen made a semi-submersible that has windows on the bottom that looks into the ocean (and drew various sea life in each window), lots of chairs and ramps and doorways on his plate.

Calen has always made this face when concentrating on writing or drawing

Camden also drew windows on the bottom of his (with jellyfish in each window), and then asked for some extra foil to create a "diving board" on the edge of his. So I pulled out some foil and the stapler to finish his masterpiece. 


Jellyfish and diving boards on Cam's
Then they ran up to the playroom and built some quick Lego "scuba guys" (including one ghost trooper with a rubber ducky inflatable), some sharks and an old submarine, and headed to the tub for half an hour's worth of deep sea exploration (I kept hearing various shark attacks, stolen treasure, and "MAN OF WAR!! LOOK OUT!!" from the bathroom). 




They're so easy to entertain. 

Even when you're improvising. 




No comments:

Post a Comment