Saturday, April 13, 2019

Day 59: Parents Vs Kids

Today was the last official practice with Camden's hockey team, the Santa Rosa Flyers. 

Granted, he does have two more "Intro to Hockey" sessions, and one more exhibition game at halftime of an adult hockey game, and an awards banquet at the end of the month, but this is the last official "Mites" (8u) practice with his specific group. 

Instead of an actual practice, the team decided it would be super fun to do a parents vs kids scrimmage. A good chunk of the players' dads are prior hockey players of some level, so most of them got out there no problem. 

I on the other hand, was using hand-me-down gear from my neighbor, who's a male and at least 5 inches taller than me (which is not a difficult feat, but is a fact when it comes to fitting gear). I made a valiant effort to get the shin guards on, but they were so wide that they caused me to walk like a pregnant walrus. But then I thought, if I could just get the hockey socks over them, I could tape them up nice and tight and just stand on the ice somewhere and try not to fall over (because there's no way I'd ever get back up). But, the socks I had were never, ever going to fit over those massive shin guards, and in the end, I surrendered to the idea of participating at all. But when I saw that Camden's skating coach also was not participating, "because it's CRAZY out there with all those kids and adults", she said, I suddenly felt like I made a very wise decision, because most of these 7 and 8 year olds can skate literal circles around me at 3 times my speed, and would inevitably kill me if I were out there. 

So I watched on the side where it was safe. 

After the scrimmage we had pizza and cake and celebrated a fantastic season. Although it's not "officially" over yet, it was nice just to get the team together and show our appreciation for how hard these kids worked this season. 

Kids vs parents. Cam is in the middle on one knee (orange and white jersey)

No comments:

Post a Comment