Sunday, January 22, 2017

Day 333: Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

Somehow, this summer, I entered in some kind of sweepstakes, and we won the runner up grand prize of ten free ice skating passes to our local Snoopy's ice skating rink and four passes to the Charles M Schulz museum next door. 

Note: I do NOT remember entering in this sweepstakes. At all. The ice skating rink called my cell phone and said I won and asked if I remembered entering...."of course I do!". I don't. But they knew my name and my phone number so I MUST have done it when I was half paying attention and yelling at the kids to stop eating popcorn off the floor while doing it or something. 

Anyways. 

It was raining for the 7 billionth day in a row today, and we've had enough of sitting around doing nothing. So we decided to cash in and go to the Charles Schulz museum this morning as a family. 

Curse you, Red Baron!!
The "Peanuts Museum", as the kids call it, is a really neat little place. Charles Schulz grew up in Minnesota but lived right here in Sonoma County for the majority of his comic strip career. The museum talked a lot about the content that Schulz used and why he chose such content, his interest in politics and his time in WWII. And of course it showcased the Peanuts characters and tons of tons of his comic strips. 

In fact, this wall here contained ten THOUSAND comic strips to create this mural of Charlie Brown and Lucy. Ten thousand.  

Ten THOUSAND comic strips
So we walked around and read comic strips and even learned how to draw some of the Peanuts characters. It was a really nicely maintained little museum that definitely honored Charles Schulz appropriately and made for a great family outing, especially since we got in for free!

Some sound advice from baby brother. 
Calen's freehand Snoopy
My rendition of Woodstock and Charlie Brown using the how to draw book
But once we finished off the museum, we weren't done yet! Just next door was Snoopy's Home Ice, the ice skating rink. So we used those free passes and went ice skating for three hours until it closed. 

And, sticking with the theme, we went home and watched the new Peanuts Movie, a personal family favorite. 

Good grief, Charlie Brown, I'm tired!

Ice skating time!





No comments:

Post a Comment