Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Day 10: Yukon Ho!

Well, the day arrived. It's a big day, probably the biggest day of the year for us. It's kind of like Christmas, only less magical. 

We got orders today. 

(Actually, we got orders 2 days ago. But we announced it today). 

What orders means, for us, is where we are going to live our lives for the next 2-4 years. We pretend that we have control over where we are going to live, but we really don't, especially this time around, where we were basically just sent after being told twice that our wish lists were all unavailable and here's a leftover list of complete garbage places to live, so which would be your number 1? And we still didn't get it. 

So "where are going?" has become the biggest question of the last six months. 

So, where are we going?! Drumroll please...

We are going to KODIAK, ALASKA. 


And now, for that collective cloud of quiet voices from across the world whooshing by, whispering "Whoa...WOW!" Which has literally been every reaction from every single person that I've told. An entire jetstream of "wows" blowing through the fields of Petaluma right now. 

Can you hear it? It sounds like wind but it's really "wooooooooooooooow". 

Our reaction is quite literally the same. Wow. Alaska. Not just Alaska, Kodiak Alaska. A remote(ish) island, on a remoteish part of the world. We aren't even talking about the "lower 48" United States here, this actually forces you to turn that globe of yours ever so slightly. According to Google, we are closer to Russia, than to Seattle. We are closer to the North Pole than to Los Angeles.

We might as well be moving to Mars. 

Did you ever read that Calvin and Hobbes collection "Yukon, Ho!", where they decide that they're moving to the Yukon with nothing but a ray gun, a sled and a space helmet? Because that's the first thing I thought of. Especially since, whenever the boys ask which car we are riding in that day and we happen to be taking our Yukon, I shout: YUKON HO!!

And thus, a Calvin and Hobbes themed announcement photo shoot was necessary. The boys were careening down a mountain completely out of control, complete with bomber jackets, flight goggles, eskimo hats, a paper tube telescope and a paddle, just in case. 

No, they weren't out of control. They weren't even moving. Fake news. 

I mean, of course we would do a Calvin and Hobbes style photo shoot announcement


If you ask me how I'm feeling about it (which a lot have), I haven't decided how I feel. I feel like I'm literally moving to another planet. I feel like I have a lot of preparation to move to said planet. Instead of space suits I'm buying high quality rain gear and expensive boots. Instead of loading up my space shuttle and flying through asteroid belts, I'm going to be driving my GMC Yukon (how fitting?!) and pulling a trailer through gravel highways in the Yukon. But then, I go back to Calvin and Hobbes. 



That seems like the most sensible plan for this. Throw caution to the wind, grab our ray guns and just go for it. Life is an adventure, and so we shall be adventurous, embrace it and have an absolute blast doing it, even if we are eaten by bears. And we better pack a sandwich, in case we can't catch a walrus. 









No comments:

Post a Comment