Sunday, April 28, 2013

NYC in a day

I took my mom to her maiden voyage in New York City yesterday. I didn't bring kids, a backpack on my back, even a purse. I threw an ID and a couple methods of payment in my pocket and a cell phone and just went. 

I didn't even bring a camera!

I didn't want to deal with anything. I didn't want to stop and take pictures. I've been there once before. I took pictures then. I didn't need to this time. I just wanted to live it. And live it freely.

We did Times Square (daytime and nighttime). We did the new 9/11 memorial. We spent a few minutes at Seaport on our way to somewhere else. We wandered into random stores, and some on-purpose stores.

Including my first Lego Store experience. Holy amazing. Being a certified Lego maniac from my younger days, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I haven't gone into an actual Lego Store before. I was in stunned silence. It was literally floor to ceiling Legos. You could even take a cup, go to a wall of clear bins that had loose Lego pieces in and pick and choose what colors and pieces you wanted. Fill up the cup, pay a flat rate of $14.99. Great custom starter set. Then, go to the Minifig (fellow Lego children of the early 90s like myself call them Minifigs "Lego Men") station, and build your very own customized guy. 

Is there a better store in the world than this??

I know they are all over the place in the nation. But I had never come across one. 

We ate street food (hot dogs, roasted nuts etc) and had a big lunch at an Irish pub and watched the NFL draft (which just happened to be in NYC - we walked past the satellite and network trucks). We wandered and took our time. It was almost relaxing not having a real agenda. 

We ended the day at Rockefeller Center and went to the top of the plaza building, which in my opinion was a MUCH better view of the city than the Empire State Building (which I did last time). We hung out there for a long time until it got dark. 

And then? We walked back to the car and drove 3 hours home. NYC in a day. We didn't see everything, we didn't do everything, but we did enough, and we had a lot of fun. 

I did take a few pictures of the 9/11 memorial with my camera. And I'm using Google to show you the awesomeness of the Lego store. And my Lego stash

North tower 9/11 Memorial pool. There is one at each spot where the towers fell. It took our breath away.
Surrounding the borders of the two tower pools is the engravings of the names of the victims. The first responders killed were in gold and protruded
Ripped off from Google. The Lego Store in Rockefeller Center. See those display cases full of loose Legos? Take a cup, fill it up with whatever you want. Pay flat rate $14.99. Done. Awesome.

My Lego store score (minus a set or two)




  

No comments:

Post a Comment