Saturday, April 6, 2013

PSA: Why Jersey Sucks (Volume 7: Gas Pumping)

Here's yet another Public Service Announcement as to Why Jersey Sucks.

It's illegal to pump our own gas in Jersey. 

Which pisses me off. It takes forever. I could get out of my truck, pay, fill up, get back in and drive away before they even open my tank valve. They don't even wash my windows. 

At least Oregon gas pumpers always washed my windows.

One thing Jersey gas pumpers do is top off. I don't like it when they top off my gas. I was always taught as a young driver to never top off. It can cause fires, damage your car blah blah blah. I'm not sure why the gas pumpers top off, other than to make a nice pretty even number on your receipt. Or maybe so they don't have to make odd change. After all they are lazy. (they don't wash your windows!)

A couple months ago as I was driving along the Parkway happily content in my completely functional truck (that was making no weird noises, vibrations, leaks holes fires etc) when suddenly not one but THREE warning lights appeared on my dashboard. The check-engine, and two other bizarro unidentifiable warning lights that couldn't mean anything besides the fact that the car was about to explode and plunge off the overpass like a fiery comet into the earth below

Today's top story: "Small comet resembling a red mid-size SUV collides into southern New Jersey suburb. First reports feared that many nearby citizens were severely burned, but further investigation found that the citizens had just spent too much time in Jersey tanning beds. And now to sports with Steve..."

So long story short, Brad took the truck to Auto Zone and had them hook it up to a computer and then Googled the error code that came up. Turns out that the errors that we're getting coincides with a sensor going awry. And that certain sensor is notorious for going awry when gas overflows in the gas tank too often...a.k.a. when asshole gas pumpers overfill your gas tanks!

The sensor will not actually affect the functioning of the vehicle. It's just annoying. And sooner or later your sensor should be replaced. And I think it will eff with emissions testing if that is coming up.

We managed to get the sensor reset so that the lights on the dash went away. But tonight I turn on the car to go grocery shopping and look who decided to show up. Sigh. 

So the moral of this story is: don't let gas pumpers top off. Or you. Don't you top off either. 

I'm sure some gearhead will inform me something or other about how this is false or incorrect or almost wrong. Whatever. I don't care. I want to blame someone and who better to blame than Jersey turds? Also, Google said it was true. Google is always right. 

Error, error error.
    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment