Friday, February 10, 2017

Day 352: The Mostly Chinese Buffet


We decided to move into the kitchen today for our Chinese New Year activity. While the kids were at school, I did a little grocery shopping and Pinterest hunting, to plan out some recipes for tonights' dinner. The goal was for the kids to try some different foods that are popular in China and the surrounding area. 

So, we made chicken fried rice (by scratch) and the filling for pork spring rolls. Calen himself hand filled the spring rolls (I fried them to prevent him from getting any serious oil burns...which I got myself). We boiled frozen potstickers from Costco and I bought sushi (California rolls to not terrify the kids).

More politically correct bullpoop disclaimers: Obviously sushi isn't Chinese. Sue me. And I don't know how Chinese the other 3 items are either. But before you utter the word "stereotyping", I wanted the kids to try something really shockingly different, like sushi, to see just how different other cultures are. Sushi is about as wild as it gets. 

I was really impressed at how well the chicken fried rice and egg rolls turned out. The kids had so much fun participating and Calen rocked it at rolling the egg rolls. They loved all of the food, except the sushi, which Calen couldn't get over the texture of the avocado inside. 

Give it a few years, kid. 

We picnicked this dinner on the floor while watching Disney's Mulan. Because obviously. 

Rolling egg rolls himself

Stirring up chicken fried rice
Sampler dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment