Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Day 263: My Own Personal Van Goghs

 As part of Calen's high school curriculum, he needs to take half a credit of art class. We elected to take a general "exploration in art" class, so that we didn't have to be restricted to a specific medium of art.

I'm a huge fan of fall arts and crafts, so I tried to find a fun non-Halloweenie type fall art project for bigger kids. I found a neat fall tree painting on Pinterest that teaches perspective. 

Well, clearly I'm not sophisticated enough to know good art when I see it, because it turns out this art is a famous piece, called "Avenue of the Poplars", by Vincent Van Gogh. 

Well, the more you know. 

I put the photo up on our Echo Show and taught the boys a bit about perspective, how the road looks like it's getting farther away, and how to use watercolors and paint the background first. 

Look, this was more of a fake it till you make it teaching moment, but it worked. 


I think the boys actually did quite a great job of it. 

Calen's Van Gogh

Camden's Van Gogh


No comments:

Post a Comment