Saturday, March 9, 2013

It Can't Be THAT Easy, Can It?

I was bored this weekend (hell, I've been bored all winter). I needed something to do. Something new and interesting and challenging. 

So I decided to move Camden into a big boy bed. 

Not that I disliked the crib. I actually loved it. It was a perfect baby prison  toddler-containment-system that guaranteed him staying out of trouble for 14 hours at night and two hours during the day. But, it had to happen sooner or later. And he's a month and a half away from turning two. Might as well get it over with and face the music.

And it gave me something to do. 

So this afternoon Brad took apart Calen's bunk bed (which is designed to turn into two individual twin beds) and put one bed in Cam's room. All while leaving the crib in tact in the room also. In case of emergency, you know. 

I thought Calen would be upset at the loss of his bunk bed. But once I told him it was a "new" bed and that he could JUMP on it without smashing his head, he was excited and decided that he "LOOOOVED my new bed" (which he exclaimed to me mid-air as he was jumping). 

wearing himself out on his "new" bed
Camden liked his bed too and broke it in the same way as his brother - jumping. Then the boys would swap rooms and jump on each other's beds. Hey, whatever, as long as you guys are wearing yourselves out. 

Cam's bed was definitely the "cool" place to be tonight
But Brad and I anticipated a looooong evening of convincing Cam to stay in bed. We set up the baby gate to prevent escapes and then like any good parent, set up a video camera with the night vision on in the bedroom to see what kind of shit Cam would get into when he's supposed to be sleeping. Then we turned out the light, closed the door, and waited. 

He cried, which we expected. But it only lasted maybe a minute. Then silence. We heard him babbling to himself a few times, but that was it. We didn't hear jumping, we didn't hear toys being thrown, or the door even opening. We figured he was just silently getting into trouble. 

I snuck into the room 45 minutes later to snatch the video camera. He was still awake, but he was laying in bed. And he didn't make a noise. I went up fifteen minutes after that, and he was asleep. In bed. 

It can't be THAT easy, can it? After all, Calen was a bonafide nightmare when we moved him to the big boy bed. 

But it was. I checked the video footage, and he only got out of bed once to grab a toy pickup truck. Which he took back into bed. And stayed there

Huh. 

I'm sure my luck will run out tomorrow and it will be a lot more interesting. Especially during naptime.  

Shocking.
   

        

No comments:

Post a Comment