Saturday, January 14, 2023

Day 10: Hockey Gamers

 It was one of those days where you have the best laid plans for the day, but the wheels come off one by one and it turns into an actual fiasco. 

We have a lot going on during Fridays. School of course, then mid afternoon hockey practice for Camden, followed immediately (and I mean, 15 minutes immediately) by Calen's swim team practice across the street (which actually, is fairly convenient). Today, of course, a few wrenches were thrown in. We had an extra kid today, a buddy and teammate of Camden that we needed to get to practice. Sure, that's easy. Then, the desperate need for a scorekeeper for the JV high school hockey game popped up. Well, I keep score every weekend, so I said sure. Until I found out that the game actually starts at 1pm. 

Let's recap my Friday the 13th (I can't even make it up) schedule:

JV high school game: 1pm - 3:30pm
Camden and buddy Thor hockey practice: 3:45pm-5pm
Calen swim practice: 5:15pm. 

Psh. I got this. This is nothing. 

So I assigned Brad with getting Cam and Thor to hockey, had Calen to walk to a neighbor's/fellow swim team buddy so he can get to his practice, and then heading out by myself to the JV game, in which Cam and Thor's practice was immediately following so I could just stick around and take them home. I got it! I figured it out!

I even planned ahead and put a roast and vegetables in the crock pot at 10am this morning. I was so proud of myself for being prepared. 

The JV game went on without a hitch. No trouble, no problem. The game even ended early, early enough for me to run to walmart and grab a box of Cheezits because I was starving. Brad texted that he was coming with the boys and Calen texted he was walking to his teammate's house. Perfect. 

Cam and Thor showed up to the rink, and as Thor was getting himself suited up he realized his breezers (hockey shorts) are missing. He told me they're at his house, which is problematic, because no one at his house is home and his mom is in a very important meeting in which I could not call her. So I called Brad who was on his way back home and said "dig in the garage and grab the biggest pair of breezers you can find". Brad comes back in record time, beholding a pair of tags-still-on breezers that we bought Cam probably two years ago thinking he'd grow into them, but Cam never grows, so there they've sat. Now, Thor probably has six inches on Camden and is rock solid, so I thought, "there's no way these breezers are going to fit him." But, it was the only chance we had to get him on the ice today, so we loosened the laces as wide as we could and squeezed him into these two sizes too small breezers, and we were victorious!

One mishap down. 

I'm standing there with a few other moms chatting, cold, and I have this wicked headache that just won't relent. I had been at the rink all afternoon, and I was ready to go home. I commented to my fellow hockey mom how glad I was that I had prepared dinner and thrown it in the crock pot this morning. And the moment I said that, Brad texted me and said "ummm, so the crock pot was never plugged in."

Of course it wasn't. 

So my perfect roast crockpot dinner has been sitting stewing in it's stupid cold uncooked juices for the last seven hours.

Perfect. 

And so! As practice ended I packed up Cam and Thor and declared that we were going to Subway! Because screw it. 

This was a great little tender moment in the car. Thor - who's "brain works differently", as Cam explains it, was having the most wonderful conversation with Cam. He adores Cam, and Cam is surprisingly deeply patient (something that is not in his nature) and strongly protective of Thor. Camden told Thor we were going to Subway, and Thor asked Cam if they were going to get pizza. Cam, who would have been irritated if Calen asked such a question, gently and patiently said "No, we are going to go to Subway and get sandwiches! Do you like sandwiches Thor? What's your favorite?" And then they spent the next ten minutes talking about meatball subs and pizza toppings. 

I kind of feel like Cam should be a teacher. 

Except if anyone wronged one of his students he'd probably punch them in the face and that would be a problem. 

We got our Subway sandwiches and headed back to the house. Calen was still at swim and the hockey boys had no interest in getting undressed with the promise of Nintendo at their feet. They sat on the sofa, fully dressed in gear (Cam still had skates on), playing video games. 

Cam announces: "Mom! Take a picture of us! We are "Hockey Gamers". Get it? Hockey-Game?" And they laughed and laughed. 

In the end, everyone made it to practice, everyone was fed, and the roast will be ready for dinner tomorrow. 


Hockey Gamers

No comments:

Post a Comment