Friday, August 25, 2023

Day 231: Fine, We'll Go Find Summer Somewhere Else

 It's a good day! It's one of my favorite types of days! And you know why?

It's a travel day

If you know me, you know the wanderlust is strong with me. I love a good adventure. And traveling is the best kind of adventure. 

Even if it's somewhere we've gone a thousand times. 

I blame that on living on an island. 

Or being easily pleased. 

Whichever. 

Today the boys and I (Brad will join us later) embarked on a plane to Washington for an extended vacation! Seeing as it never really got warm or dry this summer, we decided to go find summer. I think two weeks in Eastern Washington at my mom's house in 100 degree weather will do nicely, thanks. 




Travel days are long but I don't mind. It's part of the adventure! The boys and I had a longish layover in Anchorage so we got Starbucks (immediately), wandered around the shops and then settled in to a picnic style table where I introduced Calen to Magic the Gathering. 



It was an instant hit, he's a huge fan of the game. The procession of photos cracked me up. First he thought he was winning, setting up for a huge fatal blow to my life on his next turn. 

Thinking he's GOT me in the next turn

And then he learned, the very next turn, that he does not in fact have the upper hand, and I destroyed his hopes and dreams in one vicious card play. 

Crushing hopes and dreams, one Magic game at a time

Sorry bucko, I've been playing Magic for longer than you've been alive. 

That delightfully vanquished most of the time we needed to kill before boarding our plane to Everett - yes, I said Everett, which now has nonstop flights from Anchorage as it's an official airport now. 

The future is wild. 

We were met on the tarmac by my forever bestest friend Allie, who works for Alaskan Airlines. The best kind of welcome ever!




My mom picked us up, and we headed to Monroe for a Mexican dinner, because restaurants other than sushi and Subway, thank you Lower 48! 

On the side of the road right outside the restaurant was a fellow selling cowboy hats. 

Camden's eyes got about as big as flying saucers and he might have started drooling. He's wanted a cowboy hat for years, but between living on an island and the cost of shipping, we've never gotten him one. 

And thus, the first purchase of our Washington vacation. 






No comments:

Post a Comment