Saturday, May 21, 2016

Day 88: The Bitter End

Today was Calen's last game, which means, since Cam's team finished last week, the spring baseball season is officially over. 

Normally, I'd be sad about such things, but this year, I'm relieved. 

We forfeited today (...for the 2nd time...) because only 6 players showed up. Out of 14. On a Saturday.  (We scrimmaged anyways, but the game counted as an automatic loss for us)

This bitter way to end a season is unfortunately kind of the theme of this team. A team full of parents who don't find it important to show up to games (or bother to tell anyone ahead of time). A coach who, though very nice, is rarely on time to his team's games, has no expectations for these kids (and thus they're so unskilled and undisciplined I started secretly calling them the Bad News Bears), who didn't want to participate in the Playoffs (so he cancelled our team out of it), and who didn't deem it important to hold a single practice. Ever. This group of boys didn't grow at all from the first day of the season to the last. In fact I feel that Calen regressed, a product of his environment where he sees everyone screwing around, so he should, too. 

It's sad when you show up to the designated baseball field half an hour early (customary for most sport teams, to warm up and maybe do a few quick drills), to find that you're the only one there. Every single game. So I'll play catch with Calen or throw grounders and meanwhile on the other side of the field, before every game, every opponent team we faced is all there, full team and coaching staff at least 30 minutes early, warming up, drilling, coaching. We're the only team that doesn't. And it shows on our record (we only one 4 or 5 games out of 18). 

I know, I know, "don't complain until you volunteer." So that's what I'm going to do, volunteer. I might not be able to coach (I don't want to show favoritism of coaching one kid over the other, and I've already coached tball before - no thanks), but if by some unfortunate circumstance the same coach drafts Calen again in Fall Ball, I'm volunteering as an assistant coach, which on his staff, means I'll be doing everything. Fine. Maybe these kids will learn something. 

Here's to hoping he makes the 9u tryouts and we just don't have to deal with that coach again.

And now for a 2 week break before flag football for both kids begins! Oh and swim lessons and summer vacation and and and.....

Great season, buddy



No comments:

Post a Comment