Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Day 92: Not Drawing With Cam

Camden is not an artist. 

This attribute (or non-attribute, as it were) is by choice. He hates art. Loathes it even. Breaks down and cries at school when the preschool teachers say it's art time.

He has gotten better about the last part. Now according to the teachers he just slams his fists down on the table and whines "NOT arrrrrrrtttttt!!! I hate art."


Progress it made through baby steps with this one. 

To be clear, it's mostly "drawing" things he hates. He loves coloring in books and painting. But if his teacher asks to draw a picture of (fill in the blank), jump into your tantrum bunker, here comes a meltdown. 

So when Cam does decide to participate and bring me home a finished piece of art, I make a big deal of it, show everyone in the house, hang it on the fridge and do nothing short of throwing a parade for a single piece of paper with paint slapped on it. 

This week Cam brought me this. It's very specifically a not-drawing of flowers.

This is so classic Cam. I'm sure the teacher said "paint some flowers" and he said to himself, there is no way I'm going to paint actual flowers. He can never take orders/advice/a gentle nudge to anything, and has to do things his own way, march to the beat of his own drum on the soundtrack of his own personal anarchy. 

But he said it's "Flowers For Mom" which of course makes me melt into a puddle of "awwww my BABY!!" mush on the floor. 

Most artists that have pieces in museums are not-drawings anyways. 

Camden's beautiful Not-Drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment