Saturday, July 2, 2016

Day 130: Embracing Your Inner Nerd: Pikachu Edition

Note: This really should be a guest post written by Brad, since it really has nothing to do with me. But since he has enough on his plate and he probably wouldn't know how to write out a story on this blog if he tried, I'll do it for him. 

See how nice I am?

We spent the first part of today's afternoon at our next door neighbor's 3rd birthday party at the lake on base. Nice weather, nice view, a playground, it was a good way to spend a couple of hours. We even brought the puppy. After an hour or so, Brad and Calen left to pick up Calen's friend Robert and his dad to go to...are you ready...a Pokemon training session at a local card shop. 

Everyone here knows we're nerds. We play video games (including me), aren't above watching (certain) animes, and I've spent half my life playing Magic the Gathering. So let's just face the music and embrace the fact that three out of the four of us also play Pokemon card games. 

The only thing I know about Pokemon is what Super Smash Brothers taught me. I know Pikachu and Jigglypuff and Charizard and that's about it, really. I'm almost embarrassed considering I worked for Nintendo for a time. 

According to Brad's account, the card shop is super cool, has multiple tables and tons of people just sitting around playing Pokemon. The owner directed Brad, Calen and company to a girl no more than 13 that sat the guys down and taught them how to play Pokemon.

Seems like an ideal daddy-buddy date for Calen and his friend, and the Dads had just as much fun too. 


Endnote: Brad came home with card protector sleeves for the kids and at first I rolled my eyes because the boys' cards are already bent and worn since they're left on the floor and taken to the playground and eaten by the puppy. But then I saw that the sleeves were two different colors on the back (red for Cam, green for Calen) and instantly I said "thumbs up Brad!" because then the boys can't argue over whose card is who's. 

One less fight to break up. 

Pokemon date with Dad!
Nerd-dom



No comments:

Post a Comment