Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Day 147: Go Do Something Constructive

For basic kid reasons, the kids are grounded from electronic devices (including the TV) until Friday morning. 

At first they were like "Well what are we supposed to DO in the mornings?" and I'm all "Go do something constructive," like every mother in the history of the universe has said at least once in their lives to their kids. 

Unfortunately, my brilliant no TV punishment also punishes me, since the normal routine of the day is the kids wake up (on their own) at 6am (disgusting), go downstairs, turn on the Disney Channel and pour their own cereal while I sleep (mostly) undisturbed until around 8. Now with no TV, I figured they'd be noisy or come in the room for a million questions and my wonderful morning routine would be ruined. 

But when I woke up this morning (at 8), I realized they hadn't bugged me once. My first thought was "Shit, I forgot to hide the remote." and figured they were sneaking TV. But when I came downstairs, I find Calen on the floor amidst a pile of Legos, creating an "Army soldier base" AND a tank to go with it. 

In which my verbal response was "wow Calen, this is amazing!!" but my NONVERBAL response in my head was "Holy shit!"

Calen's army fortress. Complete with watch tower, garage for his tank with moving door, and "fences for protection"
His tank. Color me impressed. 
And then I look over at Camden, who had pulled out his summer math workbook, and had willingly completed FORTY TWO PAGES of it. I actually had to force him to stop and go play, because he wanted to complete the entire 90 page book. In one day. 

On second thought, maybe we DON'T reinstate morning TV. Look how constructive they suddenly are!

Endnote: I don't want to hear about how you're hippy mom of the year and never let your kids watch TV ever because it kills brain cells and causes elbow cancer and turns them into serial killers. My kids watch TV on a daily basis (moderately, morning and evening) and I'm pretty sure they aren't going spontaneously combust. Pick your battles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment