Sunday, July 10, 2016

Day 138: Ice Skating In July

Sometimes you just need to do something different. 

Last month or so, a neighbor of mine gave me some free ice skating passes to the ice rink owned and operated by the Charles Shulz (aka Peanuts aka Snoopy creator) Museum that's at the same location. The catch of the free passes were, you had to use them by July. 

Most people in California probably wouldn't even associate July with "let's go ice skating". But they were free passes and those that know me know I'm all about an adventure, especially if it's out of the ordinary. So this afternoon we put on warm socks, long pants and mittens, and went to the ice skating rink.

It's the great ice skating rink Charlie Brown!



This was the kids first experience ice skating, and maybe my fourth ever. When we first got there, I panicked a little. There weren't any chairs or walkers or any other not-falling-down-devices for my kids, and there's only one of me to help them (Brad is still gone in Washington). But I said to hell with it, let's see what happens. Kind of like throwing a kid in a lake and hoping they'll swim. Except they won't drown at the skating rink. I hope. 

As I was helping lace up Calen's skates (I did Cam's first), I looked up and saw Cam was gone. I jumped up and looked around the concession area, and Calen says "he's on the ice!" And to my great and shocking surprise, Camden is an effing natural at ice skating. He was already halfway around the rink, skating away, as if he'd done it a hundred times before. The kid never fell. Unless he wanted to fall on purpose, which he did. He even started doing spins and folded his hands behind his back like the professionals skating past him. 

Showoff. 

Skating with his hands behind his back like he's been skating for years. First time ever. 

Calen struggled a little at first but not so much that he couldn't do it on his own. By the second hour we were there, I didn't have to help him at all, and the three of us were skating away independently (with the occasional fall here or there from the boys). 

I asked an employee to take our picture. She then told me I wasn't allowed to have my phone on the ice. Which I didn't put away because I had to take pictures of the kids of course! And Calen yelled at me for breaking the rules. 
We all had a blast but Camden especially was in his element and threw a rare crying fit that we had to leave (he claimed he wanted to live there "all the days"). Then he said he wanted to play hockey which is something I'm willing to investigate at least. 

After skating, we had dinner in the cafe on location, called "The Warm Puppy". It was a great day with just me and the boys and though we were worn out by the end of it, it's something we will definitely do again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment