Sunday, October 9, 2016

Day 229: Pumpkin Stamps

A little over a week ago, I bought no less than a trillion apples in order to make this super cute fall photoshoot with the kids:



Because let's face it, actually going to an apple picking farm is SO last year. Just run to Safeway and buy 12 bags of apples and have just as much fun!

Actually, we wanted to, we just didn't get around to it this time. Big kids and their darn busy schedules. 

So the photoshoot was cute but that leaves me with 7,254 apples to consume before they go bad. So we've eaten a lot of apples. Apples for school snacks. Apples with lunch and dinner. Apple monkey bread last night. Apples apples apples. 

No, I'm not interested in making apple sauce or apple pie filling. What do I look like, Martha Stewart? Besides, if you've been around my kids, you'll know that Camden alone will eat 3 apples a day. 

Tonight I was going through the entire crisper drawer of apples and found one that was a little "yikes". Not that it was totally bad, or even almost bad, but part of the outside of the skin was starting to get mushy, which means my kids will take one look at it and go "this is the most disgusting apple in the history of the world and I will NOT eat apples for four days because I'm so grossed out." 

Luckily, I had a Pinterest find that I was waiting to use an apple for. Ready, set: Pumpkin apple stamps!

I sliced this condemned apple in half, then sliced a few layers off the "core" side to get rid of that weird apple core depression. 

Roll out some butcher paper. I have one of those ginormous rolls of actual for reals butcher shop butcher paper from Costco that cost me maybe $8 six years ago and we still have enough to last us until the kids leave for college. Best.craft.paper.ever.

Pour out some orange paint into a bowl. Or, if you're an airhead like me and start a project before checking to see if you have the supplies, spend an extra 10 minutes trying to mix red and yellow paint to make orange. Like this is Kindergarten, for crying out loud. 

Lay the apple halves cut-side-down into the paint. Lift and stamp onto the paper. 

Voila! A pumpkin shape!

Wait until the orange paint dries and use green paint/marker/glitter glue to make the leaves and vines. 

Stamping apples! Pumpkins. Apple pumpkins? 

Which we didn't get to tonight because I had poor time management and didn't start the project until late in the evening. But imagine super cute green leaves and vines on those pumpkins. 

This is a new project for our family and it was a huge hit, even for the 7 year old. And as long as you actually buy orange paint, it takes 5 minutes of prep time. 

And for dessert, we finished the night with monkey bread and (my personal) favorite Halloween(ish) movie: Quackbusters. 

You yellow dog of a scaredy cat, you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment