Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Day 231: Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning

Ever since Camden's first Halloween, the kids have matched for their Halloween costumes each year. From dinosaurs to super heroes to Star Wars characters, they've complimented themselves very well. 

Until this year when all my hopes and dreams are crushed!

Disclaimer: that really isn't the context of my hopes and dreams. Give me a little more credit. 

At first, the boys agreed on their own this year that they'd be characters from Star Wars: Force Awakens. To which I kind of groaned because we've done Star Wars before (albeit different characters), but they agreed and even had a costume idea to include the pup Sonic so that worked for me. 

And then Camden discovered a Peter Pan costume from the Disney Store. He tried it on and fell.in.love. And since then (maybe two weeks ago), I find him constantly roaming around the house with his Peter Pan hat on, slaying imaginary foes with his tiny dagger and clicking his tongue like the tick tock croc. I mean really. Is there anything cuter than a 5 year old dressed up as Peter Pan??



Of course, I instantly think "Calen can be Captain Hook!!!" because he's bigger and would ROCK the super adorable Hook costume the Disney Store had. I had it on the kitchen table and gleefully showed Calen it when he came home from school. He took one look at it, pointed to it and goes "I'm NOT wearing that."

What. 

No level of begging, sweet talking or bribery would convince Calen to be Captain Hook for Halloween. He knows who he wants to be and there's no changing it.

When did he grow up and have the nerve to have OPINIONS and whatnot? Just who does he think he is?


So when I asked if he'd be willing to wear the Hook costume for a little photo shoot with his brother, if it meant he didn't have to wear it trick or treating, he happily obliged, stayed in character, asked where he wanted to be posed, and had fun sword fighting Cam in between me fixing camera settings. He was loving it. 









Are you SURE you don't want to be Captain Hook??

No?

Fine.

I returned the Hook costume today with a heavy heart. But not before we had a TON of fun with this little photo shoot.

Blah blah blah Halloween is for kids blah blah blah let them pick their own costumes blah blah blah. Obviously this is not beyond me and in the end I let Calen pick what he wanted. And really, I got what I wanted, some super adorable photos.  


No comments:

Post a Comment