Monday, April 17, 2023

Day 101: Sicilian (Not Italian) Pizza

 It was Calen's turn to cook today! Instead of using his new Star Wars cookbook, we had a few recipes to catch up on from his Raddish Kids cooking subscription. Today, pizza!

But not just pizza. Sicilian pizza, not to be confused with Italian pizza, of course. 

In my very early 20s, before I was married and had kids (basically in another life), I worked with a guy named Tony who was a self-declared Sicilian. If you said he was Italian, he became extremely offended. He was from Sicily, lest you forget. I wonder if it's like that with New Yorkers. I'm not from New York, I'm from BROOKLYN! Which is still New York. 

But anyways. 

So we are making Sicilian pizza from scratch. The majority of this recipe is teaching you how to make homemade pizza dough, and then adding the toppings later (the easy part). 




I'll be real honest, I'm not a homemade pizza type of girl. I like the cheap, delicious, boxed frozen pizza that is about as classy as the white trash person I am. And honestly so do the kids, so we tossed a Red Baron pepperoni frozen pizza in the oven as a backup (also, because this one little pizza was definitely not going to feed two adults, a teenager and a kid that eats like a teenager). 

This pizza though, it surpassed all of our expectations. The crust was delicious and crispy, the toppings perfect. This is a homemade pizza worth taking the time to make. 

Sometimes. It's also time consuming and so much easier to toss a Red Baron in the oven. 



It was movie night to go with our pizza. The boys (particularly Calen) have been begging to watch the original Fast and the Furious. Listen, I was in high school when this movie came out. I remember the language, the sex, the high speed dumbass street racers, the everything-I-don't-want-my-kids-to-see. Brad and I had a chat about it. We watched much worse movies at a much younger age. So whatever, right? 

We relented and allowed them to watch it. Luckily they gagged at the sex scenes, but they laughed at the language (which made me want to slap them). But mostly? I remember how cool I thought this movie was as a teenager, and now that I'm pushing 40, I realize how stupid it is. 

And there it is, folks. Crossing the threshold from being young and hip to old and bitter. 

Ugh. 

But the kids liked it (mostly, Calen said he would have liked it more if there were more races and less sex and violence), so whatever. 





No comments:

Post a Comment