Monday, April 24, 2023

Day 105: Cake Day and Vitamin D

 It's the day before a birthday and around here that means CAKE DAY!

I used to love cake day, and I still do, but it involves a lot of stress. Trying to get it done in a reasonable time, making it look perfect, all while getting the house super clean and ready for a birthday the next day, it's usually a late night day that requires a lot of coffee. 

Camden requested an ice cream cake this year. I HATE doing ice cream cakes. It's like a timed level in a video game, and I hate timed levels. But, it's what he wants, and who am I to say no to his birthday wish. 

I made the bottom layer early this morning - a fudge brownie layer. While letting it cool all day long, I had softened fudge and vanilla marbled ice cream and then stuffed it in a cake pan and let it refreeze. 

Meanwhile, it was shockingly warm and sunny outside (almost 55 degrees), so Cam spent the entire day outside playing roller hockey while Calen was riding bikes with friends and I took the break in cake making to hike up Old Woman for a couple hours. 




I opened the freezer this evening to see how the cake was coming along, and it was almost a fiasco!! The room temperature brownies had almost melted the cake, but luckily it managed to refreeze just fast enough to prevent a complete catastrophic meltdown. 

Gosh I hate ice cream cakes. 

Late (and I mean, late) in the evening I pulled the cake out and the timed mission began, decorating it as fast as possible. It was a Lilo and Stitch cake, but very simple. I frosted it with blue whipped cream frosting, then froze it, then added white whipped cream over the top to make it look like melting ice cream. Then froze it, then added a scoop of mint chocolate chip and an upside down cone. Stuff Stitch and a surfboard on the top, and we're done. 

It's not my favorite cake. But it'll do. 




No comments:

Post a Comment