Sunday, April 30, 2023

Day 110: Let's Go See A Band: A Cautionary Tale

 Wednesday, April 26th

We had a hot date tonight, Brad and I. 

Actually, this is also a tale of deception. Just kidding. Sort of. 

Brad texted me earlier this morning and asked me "Hey, want to go see a band tonight?"

Uh, yeah! Living on an island where there is so few things to do any time of year other than July and August, a band sounds fun! Sometimes little indie folk bands come to the Fairgrounds here and put on a show. Let's do it!

So I say sure. 

And he says "Good, because I have to go anyways. It's at the high school."

Strange? But okay. Maybe because it's still snowing in freaking April and they want to play inside. 

And why is he required to go?

Upon further investigation, he hints that it's the Kodiak high school Jazz Band's spring concert. 

What in the world do you have to do with the high school jazz band? I ask. 

"Well, it's the Coast Guard Saxophone Quartet. I arranged them to come here. They're playing with the jazz band."

This is a trap. I have been deceived! This isn't a band, this is a jazz concert of high school jazz band combined with Coast Guard jazz. 

I listen to literally all music. My iTunes playlist is everything from twanging country music to rap to hard rock to boy band pop. You know what isn't there? Jazz. Jazz is my least favorite music in the entire planet. Brad knows this. He tricked me!!

But I said I would go. So guess what? Let's go. 

We left the kids at home (because they're smarter than me and knew in an instant that jazz music wasn't "their thing") and headed to dinner at Henry's. 

I've been to Henry's three times, and I've never enjoyed it. It's a local favorite and I tried so hard to like it, but I've never lucked out with the food here. Three strikes and you're out, sorry Henry's. 

But it's fine, it's fine! We are on a date and I'm not going to have a bad attitude. 

We headed to the high school auditorium and got a nice seat front and center to watch the band. And whether it's my least favorite music or not, the high schoolers were extremely talented, filled with spunk and spirit and a lot of fun to watch. 

Then the Coast Guard quartet came out, who traveled all the way from Connecticut to perform just for us. 

They were so talented, and really amazing to watch. 

Hey, I can appreciate good music when I hear it, whether I like it or not. 

Really it was a fantastic night out just the two of us, and so fun to do something totally different for once. 



No comments:

Post a Comment