Monday, May 1, 2023

Day 113: The Puppetmaster

 Saturday, April 29

It's quite possibly the longest day of the year. 

It's that dreaded weekend where Bruin Burgers, the stuffed cheeseburgers that Kodiak Hockey League sells at Crabfest ever Memorial Day weekend, are made and prepped. 

It's the biggest fundraiser of the year, and as a board member, I'm required to basically put in as many hours as is possible. 

So, I put on my most comfortable sneakers, grabbed a couple energy drinks, kidnapped enticed my children to join me and headed to St Mary's Catholic School, where we commandeered the gym for massive burger prep. 

Today was literally a circus and I was the puppet master. First, both boys and I dawned our aprons and spent two hours of hard, fast paced Bruin Burger prep. Calen was old enough to make dough in the kitchen, I made the burgers and Cam was a runner: bringing cheese and dough to the prep tables and whatnot. We started at 9:30am. 

My baker for the morning. Cam was too busy being a runner to get a photo


At 11:30, Brad came and picked up Camden, because it's a Boy Scout campout weekend (because of course it is). So they took off to set up camp while Calen and I worked for one more hour, then at 12:30 we had to leave to head to the baseball field because of course Calen had baseball practice. 

So Calen went to practice and I downed a footlong sub and then walked three miles on the track. The sunshine was brilliant today so it was nice to get outside for a bit. 




At 2:30, practice ended and Calen changed into his third outfit of the day and I dropped him off at the campground to rejoin his Boy Scout troop. 

But the day isn't done! Oh no it isn't!

I immediately headed back to St Mary's and completed an additional five hours of burger prep. 

The count at the end of the day was 4100 Bruin Burgers made (with 6,000 being the final goal). 

That's a LOT of burgers. 

But the day isn't done!

At the end of the night there was a ton of extra dough leftover, which will not be any good to use tomorrow. It is good, high quality dough, and I didn't want to see it thrown out, so I took AN 8 pound dough baby home. To use tonight. Tonight, after a 12 hour day on my feet. 

I'll sleep when I'm dead. 

Sooooo I immediately cooked up some rice and some ground beef and added Kung Pao seasoning packet to it, and built my own "teriyaki Bruin Burgers". And once that ran out, I made another pound of ground beef and turned those into Sloppy Joe Bruins. 






It was a very long day, but great community service for both boys and myself, and we ended up with meal prep for five family dinners in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment