Thursday, May 25, 2023

Day 139: Crabfest Day 1

 It's the biggest weekend of the year for our little island in the middle of the Aleutians. 

It's Crabfest!

Basically I would describe Crabfest as a Farmer's Market with food trucks. But hey that's big news to get it all together for a five day festival around here, and a lot of the tents and food trucks came from the mainland, and us variety-deprived Kodiakans that are sick and tired of Subway and McDonald's are completely elated of all the options available to us in one convenient parking lot!

The boys, Brad and myself have to work a LOT of Crabfest this weekend, so the time to spend actually enjoying it is few and far between. Brad is working the Chiefs Petty Officer Association turkey leg truck, the boys are doing Boy Scout janitor services throughout the festival grounds, and I'm working the KHL Bruin Burger truck. 

But today? Today we are going to enjoy it. 



Our first stop was to get us a Dough Bouy. Basically everywhere else in the Lower 48 would call this an Elephant Ear, a big giant flat piece of dough deep fried and covered in powdered sugar and cinnamon. A healthy lunch, obviously. 



Our next stop on our Crabfest food tour is our favorite booth in all of Crabfest. 

Soda. Jerk. 

The best milkshakes in the history of ever ANYWHERE. 




With our signature favorites. The boys had Denali's (PB and chocolate), I had mixed berry

Literally, I could eat that every day of my life and be 391 pounds. 

I also like to get a piece of local art every year, and this one was extra amazing. A local artist collected sea glass at our favorite treasure hunting beach and using some colorful wire and sea glass balls, made these AMAZING trees. 

And I just HAD to have one. I mean look at the colors!



It's really a good thing that Crabfest isn't all year long, because I wouldn't have the money to sustain this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment