Sunday, May 14, 2023

Day 128: Mother's Day Indoors Adventure

 Sunday, May 14th

It's Mother's Day! 

Normally, the only thing in the world that I ask for on Mother's Day is some sort of adventure. That's hard around here in Kodiak, when you can't just hop in the car and go to Muir Woods, or Yosemite, or the beach (as we've done in years past when we lived in the lower 48). But, the best possible opportunity came up. There was a C130 flight headed to Valdez to the air show (the one I went to last year), and all four of us scored free seats! ON Mother's Day! I get my adventure!!

Until, a search and rescue case came in, the duty roster was changed, and the flight to Valdez was cancelled. 

Well, damn it. 

To boot, the weather was HORRIBLE here today. Cold, freezing rain, miserable. So we certainly aren't going anywhere outside. 

Fine, then, I'll have an adventure INSIDE in my OWN home. Be that way. 

The second best thing to do on Mother's Day, if an adventure can't be had, is to sit on the couch, for an entire day, and do nothing. So that's what I did. I did nothing. I played video games all day. I drank a ton of coffee. And I did nothing. And it was great. 

At dinner time, the boys made me an absolutely delicious meal, which was my one request. Calen made teriyaki pork buns, Cam made Chinese brown rice (with mushrooms), and I made potstickers. Amazing and fun to cook together. 





Since it's Sunday, it's family game night of course! We played a new game that Camden got for his birthday: Happy Little Dinosaurs. It's a HILARIOUS game, simple, and clever. All four of us thought it was a huge hit. Camden of course made sure we each had a toy Lego dinosaur to sit with us as our "game piece"



And finally, to cap off the day, we watched my favorite movie: Beauty and the Beast (live action). The only other movie that might tie with it being my favorite is Toy Story, but this is the one I wanted to watch today.

Honestly, even though it wasn't a "true" adventure, it was a fantastic family day, and really, I can't ask for more than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment