Saturday, June 17, 2023

Day 162: A Glorified Taxi Driver

  Today was the final day of Little League, officially. Even though games were over, the official end of season bbq was this afternoon. We've never bothered to go one before, but the weather was perfect, it's Calen's last youth baseball year, and he had a planned hangout date with his buddy and teammate Hunter, so how could we resist?

We got to the ballpark, and Calen immediately found his buddy, which resulted in super elated bro-hugs like they haven't seen each other for 3 years or something. 

Bros



And then they were gone in a flash. I spotted them here and there, in line for food, playing basketball and then 2 HOURS of wiffle ball with half their team and a bunch of other baseball kids, while I sat on the grassy knoll and ate a cheeseburger and basically waited for Calen to be ready to leave. 

I mean, he's 14, he doesn't need his mother to follow him around. In fact he'd probably be elated if I was completely undetected by his friends. 

Just kidding. He's a good sport and doesn't mind me being around. But I know what it's like. I was fourteen once too. 

It's happened, I thought to myself as I sat on the hill by myself. I am just a glorified taxi driver for this event. The on-call Uber. 

I am not necessarily disappointed or shocked about such things, but it was an interesting revelation. 

End note: Also it meant I got first dibs on his team photo. Man, what a great team. Even after we got back and watched the Mariners game on TV, when at one point there was 2 balls, 2 strikes and 2 outs, Brad and I shouted "Two-Two-Two!!!!" and tapped the bill of our ballcaps with two fingers over and over and over until the pitcher wound up. I don't know what it means, but it was a superstitious thing that Calen's team would call out on a 2-2 count with 2 outs, tapping the bill of their hats with two fingers until the wind up. And every. Single. Player did it.

Sox. Slabs. Cookie. Sibs. Jackhammer. Can he do it? Yes he Canada. 

The best kids ever. The best coaches ever. And I'm so thankful that this is how Little League ended for us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment