Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Day 165: You Know Why It's Called Old Woman?

 The weather was very snotty today. It couldn't decide whether it was sunny or rainy, or blowing in clouds of biochemical warfare (aka pollen) into the house.

This morning, it rained. Which was fine by me, because I had to run to "work" and finish up two housing inspections. The mountains outside this one house's window looked like islands floating through the sky, the way the clouds were sitting. 

Pyramid Mountain has suddenly become an island in the sky. 

 
But then, the sky broke free this afternoon and the sun started shining. In a fit of desperation, I decided to launch myself up Old Woman mountain for my afternoon workout. I mean the sun is out, I'd much rather climb a mountain than hide inside on the stupid exercise bike. 

You know why they call it Old Woman? Because it makes you feel like an old woman climbing up. Gosh. 



Spring has sprung! Little baby lupins in front of Barometer. Please note that the sun is shining and the mountain is out, for future reference. 

After catching my breath from speed hiking up the mountain and taking pictures of the pretty flowers, I climbed past the summit through the back trails to the "high lake", which is my favorite part of the hike (mostly because it's not UPHILL). As I'm taking in the views, I look across the bay towards Chiniak. 

There it is, the clouds and obvious rain bands, coming my way. 


Can you see it? The rain bands on the top left? It's coming. 

No matter, I thought. That's a ways away and I'm almost at the lake. I have time. 

I kept tabs on that system, which was approaching a lot faster than anticipated. Pretty soon the bay was invisible behind the clouds, and the mountains disappearing. 

Well, crap. 

I hit the lake and promptly turned around and RAN back the way I came, hoping at least to get off the plateau and into the treeline before it started to rain. 

Mission failed. 


Welp. It caught me! Note the wet hair and sunglasses, and the mountain that was once shining bright disappearing behind the clouds. 

It caught me! But it was just a little summer shower, and since it was still (surprisingly) warm out I wasn't too bothered, but that didn't stop me from bounding down the mountain as fast as I could, my knees complaining the entire time. 

Old. Woman. 


Back in the warmth and dryness of my house, that adventure was over and we started a new one in the kitchen. The boys made dinner tonight! The theme of this month's cooking box is Mexi-Cali, and I found that the two main recipes complimented each other so well we did them at the same time. 

Calen made grilled pepper stuffed quesadillas, adding his own flair to it (refried beans). 



Camden made a grilled bbq chicken and black bean salad that was bomb diggity

Yes I just said bomb diggity like it's 1996. 



We gathered our trays of delicious food and watched Cars 2, per kids request. A good ending to a full day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment