Sunday, October 28, 2012

Operation Evacuation

We are safe and cozy in a hotel in  Mt Laurel, NJ (close to Philadelphia). All six of us. 

Yes, six. Me, the kids, two dogs, and the cat. Brad is currently deployed on a strike team at Fort Dix quite a ways away from here. 
  
You know, when I moved to New Jersey I didn't really think about hurricanes and evacuating and that kind of stuff. Especially two times in 14 months. 

Deja Vu, anyone?

Irene was a little hurricane that barely caused more than a breezy day and some standing water on the beach. The evacuation was kind of silly but it's always better safe than sorry. We started out hoping that this was going to be the same kind of storm. 

But it's not. It's bad. The hurricane itself is 24 hours away and already Cape May's Beach Ave (street that runs directly on the beachline) is under water. As are a couple cross streets. And it's barely started raining. I think this time, we are not going to luck out. In deep, dark honesty, I think the house will flood. Hopefully only the first floor. We made sure to move everything upstairs. 

Yes, we do have flood insurance. 

In slightly better news, the hotel is decent. It happens to be the same hotel that we evacuated to last year. It has two bedrooms which the kids have commandeered, so instead of my lovely king sized bed with my own tv, I get the springy uncomfortable pull-out couch. But anything to keep a very unsettled Camden asleep. Calen was elated to have a huge queen bed to himself (and his own tv as well). 

The kids and I caravaned up with two Coast Guard families close to us. It was actually kind of fun. There were three cars, and the lead car and myself (pulling up the rear) had walkie talkies which we did use to plan lane changes and exits and stuff very efficiently, but most importantly so that we could comment to each other on bad drivers, high tide levels and Aston Martin dealers that we drove by. We are all in the same hotel building and are basically co-existing together, planning meals together, etc. I am thankful for my Coast Guard family always, but especially during times like these. 

After a major shopping trip to Target to get more provisions (power outages are imminent here) we called it a night. It's been a long day. I'm watching game 4 of the World Series (the first game I've actually had a chance to watch) and hoping when I wake up I hear that (so far) housing is mostly dry.

Today's picture is the chalkboard in my kitchen. I left Hurricane Sandy a little love note.

you bitch!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment