Thursday, January 31, 2013

Unforeseen Circumstances

I like it when I leave for a speech therapy appointment at 2:30pm and expect to be home just in time for dinner (5ish), but end up not being home until 8pm due to unforeseen circumstances.

Especially when I'm trapped in the car/doctor's office with a 3 year old the whole time. (Well, most of the time). 


Calen and I went to speech and we were going home until he started screaming that his ears hurt really bad. He had gotten up no less than 2,532 times in the middle of the night last night to tell me the same thing, and since we have a wicked cold that came on fast and furious, I figured it was another ear infection.

I say "another" because Camden seems to get an ear infection at the slightest change of the Earth's alignment of the Milky Way so we seem to always be battling one in this house. Calen has only had an ear infection once in his life. 

I called the doc on the road and they got him in at 5. Which meant driving straight from speech to the doctor, at dinner time with a crabby hungry 3 year old. We had time for a very fast sprint through McDonald's drive through so Calen could inhale a cheeseburger and off to the doc we go. 

The first thing the doctor did was check his lungs and was floored at how wheezy and phlemy he was. 

Well duh, he has a cold. But apparently this was grade 'A' phlem. 

So a 20 minute nebulizer treatment was in order, then some waiting and waiting and more waiting for the doc to come back. Shockingly, Calen was the patient one in this whole ordeal, I on the other hand was ready to strangle someone with the power cord. Then he finally checked his ears and said that they were too full of wax to be able to see if there was an ear infection or not. And thankfully the doc wasn't mean enough to pin Calen down and painfully scrape all the wax out (like a previous doctor there did once with both my boys and traumatized them) so he decided to just treat him as if he did have an ear infection and have me buy some wax softener liquid stuff for at home treatment. 

They really couldn't soften it there? Hmmm. 

So after driving a now exhausted Calen home and dumping him off at home with Daddy with his half finished Happy Meal, shoveling a quick dinner in my mouth, rushing back to the pharmacy and then waiting forevahhhhh for prescriptions, I finally got home and sat down at 8pm. 

Oh and the BEST PART is when the doctor told me the side effects of the prescriptions AND I QUOTE:

"Extreme hyperness and ummm...Devil Child".

Oh good!    

I think it's time for a glass (or bottle) of wine. 

How Calen and I did NOT expect to spend our evening
     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment