Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Day 186: You're Reading WHAT?

 It's July but I'm already getting ready for the next school year. I had promised the boys to do a World War II unit for the last two years, holding out on the slim hope that maybe a complete, in depth cookie cutter curriculum will fall out of the sky into my hands and tell me what to teach. 

But it's been two years and nothing is falling out of the sky. 

Fine. Fine, Fine. I'll do it myself. 

So I've been studying World War II in depth this summer, trying to build what I'm pretending to be a curriculum and hoping that it'll be enough to count for something, especially since part of it needs to count for a high school credit. 

Fake it till you make it, right? 

So I'm sitting on the couch reading a biography on Adolf Hitler, taking notes to corelate learning about him not only for World War II but also our Psychology unit (i.e. how Hitler used psychology to convince an entire nation to follow him, etc). 

Camden comes down stairs and sees me reading, the cover of this book plastered with photos of quite possibly the most hated human being of all time, and big H-I-T-L-E-R in red font on the front. 

"Mom. WHAT. Are. You. Reading?!?"

"A book about Adolf Hitler."

His eyes bug out out of his head, as if I had just spoken in evil tongues.

"WHY?"

"It's important to learn about leaders, even terrible ones. By learning about your enemies you have a lot of power over them. Besides, it's for school."

His eyes slant down thoughtfully in relief, albeit suspiciously. 

"Oh. Well thank goodness. I was really worried why you were reading a book about HIM. Like you were a fan or something."

And with that crisis averted, he left to get an Otter Pop or something and go outside to play dinosaurs with his neighbor friend. 

The Defender of Justice, making his rounds, making sure no one is doing anything sketchy around here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment