Thursday, July 20, 2023

Day 195: The Art of Doing Nothing

 The sun came out! It's a miracle! Mow the lawns! Fire up the barbecue! Let's go outside! Up a mountain! On the sea! Anything! Everything!

Honestly though, our summer habits of running out the door and jumping into an adventure has been fun and all, but I know that I owe the kids a full sunny day of doing absolutely nothing

So, I spent the entire day sitting on my back porch (which gets tremendous morning and afternoon sun, thank you Alaska sun rotations) reading, school lesson planning, and doing nothing. 



The boys ran the neighborhood (in shorts, no less), playing Nerf battles, Legos on the front porch, riding bikes, roller blading, and also, doing nothing. 

It was refreshing. It was nice. It was against every instinct I have in my soul to take advantage of the sunshine and go out on an adventure, but I think that made it an adventure of itself. 

Calen and I did have a quick kitchen adventure. I had the boys pick out recipes out of their Star Wars recipe books this week, and Calen picked a watermelon lime blended drink (called, Red Five's Refreshments). 



Our blender went kaput, so we borrowed the "wall-neighbor's", which is big and impressive and Calen and I kept catching ourselves going "oooh!", "whoa!" and then, "woah!!!

I need to add that to my Amazon wish list. 



The drink was not either of the boys' favorite, but, it's good to try something new, and they got 3/4 of a watermelon out of it. 


The colorful junk in there are mickey shaped reusable ice cubes



After dinner, Brad and I decided to get our daily workout by going up Old Woman. 

Aha! We couldn't let a sunny day go by without going on an adventure after all!

It was just the two of us, and that was really nice. As much as I adore family hikes, it's nice to do something together just the two of us. 



That completed my day, because the art of doing nothing is really, really hard for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment