Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 101: The Big Summer Kickoff

Scream it from the rooftops, school's out for summer folks!

I'm thrilled for multiple reasons that school is out. I don't have to get up early every morning. I don't have to two kids in two different schools 25 minutes apart anymore. I don't need to worry about homework, projects, collecting Box Tops, guilt over not volunteering for this assembly or that field trip, the list goes on and on. 

But mostly, I'm thrilled for my kids. To hell with those year-long schools. The mecca of childhood was the last day of school. Because the last day of school means the next day is the first day of summer and there's an ENTIRE 3 months of freedom ahead of me them.  

Around here, it's more like 2 and a half months. Because they jip you in this school district and some sadist decided that the school year needs to start in mid August, what the heck?! Have you no heart? Do you take delight in sabotaging impossibly long summer vacations?

Anyways. 

It was a half-day for the kids. Which really means a day of nothing. Because they don't actually do anything the last day of school, do they? I actually volunteered at Calen's school today (the first day I could get away with volunteering ended up being the last day of school....oops) for the carnival that the school threw the majority of the day. Just lots of little games out in the playground area: ring toss, musical chairs, a water relay race, that sort of thing. It was really fun being on campus while he was at school, and I'm glad that both boys will be at the same school next year so I can volunteer a lot more. 

The best part was during lunch, when Calen asked me if I'd sit by him. Be still my heart! He still wants to be around me. I know those moments will be few and far between just a few years from now. 

After the carnival and lunch, we said "Peace out Two Rock Elementary!" (literally, shouted it out the window as we drove away) and picked up Cam from his last day of preschool. Then I cried a little inside because now I have a Kindergartner and a second grader. 

The last day of school for these cool kids. 
Then came home and because it was 90 degrees, kicked off summer in the best way possible: outside. 

We set up the slip n slide, and added a good dose of dish soap for extra slipperyness. The boys' friend Calvin came over - it was his last day of preschool too - and they played and played and played. After an hour or so, I pulled out my secret weapon: FIVE cans of Barbasol shaving cream. We added it to the slip n slide, to water balloons, to them, and they had a great time sliding around in it and throwing it at each other and covering themselves head to toe in it. 

They were mummies...
The best part? Between that and the dish soap, they're really, really clean, and smell good. Showers = done. 

They played out there for 4 hours straight. I discovered that shaving cream will not disintegrate without water, so I ended up going out and spraying down the yard after they were done, because the lawn looked like a huge flock of pterodactyls flew over my yard and pooped all over the grass. Ewww. 

We got pizza for dinner and now the kids are staying up past bedtime playing toys and watching movies. Because summer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment