Monday, June 13, 2016

Day 111: Love and Basketball (and Misery)

I love sports. I mean I really, really do.

I'm an avid follower of baseball and football. I'm a rabid Seattle Seahawks fan. I'll watch football, baseball and hockey on tv, play softball 3 nights a week on base. I really, really, love sports. 

I f**king hate basketball. 

*revision: I like playing basketball. I will even watch NCAA March Madness and enjoy it. But I really, really, hate pro NBA basketball. 

Brad and I have tried our best to convey our love of sports to the kids, and it's worked. They are huge Seahawks fans and love playing baseball (Calen can't decide who his favorite major league team is, I'm okay with that) and flag football. They love going to live games and will watch games (sometimes) on TV. 

We've never even exposed them to basketball, other than our little plastic hoop in front of our house. 

But suddenly, maybe two months ago, Calen suddenly was into basketball. He'd shoot hoops when he got home from school. He'd talk about the Golden State Warriors (our local NBA team) and Stephen Curry (2016 NBA mvp) and then he'd go out and shoot more hoops. I thought it was a phase, because his school friends were into it. But it hasn't stopped. In fact, it's only gotten bigger. 

I amuse him and listen to him go on and on about 3 pointers and half courts and Steph Curry and Steph Curry and Steph Curry. But for being such a sports person, I really couldn't give a shit. But I love that he loves it. 

As luck would have it, the Golden State Warriors are in the NBA finals. We have been pretty busy and only watched a quarter of one game so far. Calen asked pleaded begged for a Steph Curry shirt and I told him if the Warriors won the finals, I'd get him one. 

So this evening, Brad and Cam went off to flag football practice and Calen and I stayed home specifically so that we could watch game 5 of the finals. If the Warriors won tonight, they'd be champions. Calen was pumped and I was excited for him. 

And, I secretly bought him a Steph Curry shirt yesterday, and it was waiting for him today. Because what if they didn't win the Finals? I don't want to kick him while he's already down. 

The game started and Calen came downstairs to his brand new much asked for Curry shirt waiting for him on the sofa. He literally squealed with joy and then asked me to take a picture of him in it in front of the TV. 

Fanboy.



I expected Calen to "watch" the game how he watches most live sports. He looks up here and there, checks the score, all while tooling around with his Legos or coloring a book or something. 

But he didn't. 

For the entire first half, his eyeballs were glued to that TV. He jumped around the house and the sofa and screamed when the Warriors would get a basket and would scream louder if it was Steph Curry that shot it. He knew players names that I didn't and would call a foul when the refs did. He talked and talked and talked and basically had the time of his life in our living room watching basketball. 

Standing on the couch cheering
So.Happy.
At first, I enjoyed watching it with him, because he was so excited. But by the second quarter I was over it. I strained to pretend to be into it with him but really I'd just as soon flush my head in the toilet than watch an NBA basketball game. I hate the whiny players and the constant fouls that stop the clock and the squeaking of the shoes and the fricken dramatic pussies they are when they barely get knocked to the ground. 

Now, if they were knocked down into a floor filled with razor sharp nails engulfed in flames, I might understand why they're curled up on the ground wailing. But it's a wood floor. I've tripped over dirty socks on my wood floor and I didn't throw a fit. And there's even a guy that's ready with a towel to wipe their sweat off the floor as soon as they get up. Imagine applying for THAT job. 

By the fourth quarter I was done done done and completely not paying attention to the game but pretending to while playing Candy Crush on my iPad. Calen was still into it but since the Warriors were behind by a few even he was waning with his enthusiasm. 

And the Warriors lost. 

They lost!! Which means the series continues and I have to endure another basketball game on Thursday! Ugh! 

Of course I will, because Calen loves it so much. And I really do love that he loves it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment