Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Day 105: The Halfway Failed Science Experiment

In all my years, I've never actually done the whole Mentos in Diet Coke experiment. I've seen it on the internet and TV and on Wreck It Ralph (the most underrated awesome Pixar movie ever), but how many people actually do it? Not me. So last week I went to the store and got some Mentos and Diet Coke and waited for a random summer day (like today) to do it. 

Do people actually buy Mentos for any reason other than this experiment? It's not like Mentos are gross or anything, but with all the candy options out there, who goes "ooooh, I could really go for some Mentos right about now?" 

We corralled a few neighbor kids to watch the show. I designated Calen (the oldest) as the official Mentos-dropper-inner, and put myself up in our tree to take overhead shots of it. 

Minus 10 points for climbing a tree only to find that the camera battery was dead. 

Plus 5 points for always having my phone in my back pocket. 

Calen wore sunglasses (for safety! And to be cool) and dropped six Mentos in each Diet Coke bottle and ran. 

And it geysered....a little. But not like, launch that Coke into space kind of geyser you see on Youtube. I don't know what went wrong. I looked it all up afterwards. Room temperature Coke - check. 6 Mentos minimum - check. The kids still thought it was awesome but secretly I wasn't impressed. 

Maybe that's why I've never done this experiment before. 

Or maybe I'm just hard to please.


No comments:

Post a Comment